In case you are working remotely it’s possible you’ll already be utilizing or on the lookout for a way to make use of password-protected PDFs to assist preserve info safety. Right here is how to take action utilizing your Mac’s built-in software program.
There are two methods to create password-protected PDFs on the Mac, utilizing Preview or the Print supervisor on the machine.
Use the Print dialog
Right here’s the way it ought to work:
- Create or open your doc. It may be in any file format (Phrase, PDF, Pages, and so on.) that you would be able to print in your Mac. Edit it, make any required adjustments.
- Faucet Print… within the File menu.
- The Print dialog will seem, look to the decrease left nook of the Print dialog field and discover the drop-down menu.
- Click on that menu after which select “Save as PDF” within the choices that seem.
- You’ll see a brand new set of decisions; the one you need to choose known as “Safety Choices.” That is the place the safe PDF magic sits, and you may set passwords to open paperwork, to repeat content material out of the doc and to print a doc.
This hidden expertise ought to profit any Mac person who wants a safer option to share paperwork and information.
What are the PDF Safety Choices?
There are three PDF Safety Choices accessible. You allow them by ticking the checkbox beside every possibility.
Require password to open doc: Verify this, enter and confirm a password, and you can be required to enter the password you created to open the doc. That is fairly helpful when sharing confidential objects through e mail.
Require password to repeat textual content, photographs and different content material: Verify this field and anybody who opens the doc gained’t have the ability to copy objects from inside that doc, which supplies some safety towards information leak. There may be at present no safety towards taking screenshots of the doc, however it is not going to be attainable to save lots of the doc as a brand new PDF.
Require password to print doc: Verify this field and enter and confirm a password and anybody who will get their palms on the doc will likely be required to enter a password to print that merchandise.
It’s best to then have the ability to deal with these protected PDFs on iOS units.
Use Preview to create password-protected PDFs
You too can use Preview to create a password-protected PDF although it’s essential to save the merchandise as a PDF first and also you don’t get entry to as many choices. Right here’s what to do:
- Use Preview to open the PDF you want to shield
- Select File>Export.
- Within the subsequent dialog examine the field beside Encrypt.
- You’ll be requested to create and confirm a password.
- You may give the file a brand new identify within the “Export As” discipline on the high of the field, if you wish to hold each the protected and unique, unprotected file.
As you’ll be able to see, the drawback of utilizing Preview is that you don’t get entry to all of the protections made accessible from throughout the Print Supervisor; that is why I desire to make use of the latter.
Want much more safety?
If you wish to additional improve the safety of the paperwork you need to share, you can too make use of utilities resembling Keka ($3.99). It applies AES-256 encryption and allows you to break up your information into otherwise protected components, making it much more difficult to get to your info. Keka is a extremely succesful instrument for dealing with encrypted objects of every kind.