Microsoft final week launched a public preview of the APIs (software programming interfaces) that IT admins can name on to regulate Home windows Replace for Enterprise Deployment Service, the corporate’s newest effort to push industrial prospects to undertake cloud-only servicing for Home windows 10.
“With at the moment’s public preview launch, you should utilize the Home windows Replace for Enterprise deployment service instantly by the Microsoft Graph API and related SDKs, in addition to Azure PowerShell,” David Mebane, principal program supervisor lead with the Home windows servicing group, stated in an April 28 submit.
Though Microsoft trumpeted WUfB Deployment Service at its Ignite builders convention final month, Friday was the disclosing of any precise performance. Nor have been the APIs made accessible final week the story’s finish, as Microsoft will proceed to develop on the preview’s performance over an as-yet-not-nailed-down timeline.
Out the gate, IT directors can:
- Approve and schedule function improve deployments comparable to final fall’s 20H2. Admins can even instruct the service not to distribute an improve, helpful for skipping one which’s accessible.
- Stage deployments over a time period by defining supply date, desired function improve, and variety of machines affected.
- Sidestep present insurance policies to instantly deploy a safety replace, say, when Microsoft points an emergency repair for a vulnerability presently being extensively exploited by attackers.
Prospects with licenses to various Microsoft’s subscription plans can use the APIs instantly, based on Mebane, together with:
- Home windows 10 Enterprise E3 or E5, or Home windows 10 Training A3 or A5
- Home windows Digital Desktop Entry E3 or E5
- Microsoft 365 Enterprise Premium (a subscription that helps Home windows 10 Professional)
IT professionals, and app makers, too
The APIs Microsoft’s previewing for WUfB Deployment Service can be utilized by IT admins in addition to software makers (notably, enterprise in-house growth groups).
Though Microsoft’s present instruments — Microsoft Endpoint Supervisor’s Intune, for instance — can entry the APIs (for extra data, begin at this assist doc), Microsoft final week selected to spotlight different avenues to entry the APIs for WUfB Deployment Service. Particularly, Mebane touted Microsoft Graph Explorer and Postman, an online UI and growth framework, respectively, for testing APIs. Each are greatest generally known as developer instruments, however Microsoft promoted them as applicable for IT admins’ preliminary interactions with the deployment service.
In his submit, Mebane outlined first steps for admins utilizing Microsoft Graph Explorer and/or Postman, with extra data right here and right here. WUfB Deployment Service additionally helps the PowerShell command line-scripting software.
Microsoft has not but stated when it should launch WUfB Deployment Service from preview standing or when it should provide a whole servicing answer by way of Intune. (Presently, the preview is targeted on function updates — which Computerworld insists on calling upgrades to distinguish them from the month-to-month bug and safety updates.)
WUfB Deployment Service requires Home windows 10 Professional or Enterprise 1709 or later working on units joined to Azure Energetic Listing (Azure AD) or to a hybrid Azure AD-Energetic Listing (AD) id infrastructure. A subscription to one of many aforementioned Home windows or Microsoft 365 plans can be required.