Typing tips are amongst my favourite tips to attempt, particularly with regards to the spectacular Gboard keyboard on Android. And at the moment, my fellow efficiency-obsessed earthling, have I ever obtained an fascinating little discovery for you.
While randomly caressing Gboard on my Android telephone the opposite day (as one does), I occurred to stumble onto a useful risk I by no means knew existed and have by no means heard anybody else point out. It is a kind of hidden superior shortcuts Google loves sneaking into its merchandise (particularly Gboard!), and good golly, do I ever take pleasure in unearthing ’em.
This one’s comparatively easy, but it surely has the potential to be extremely helpful — significantly (a) for those who’re utilizing a telephone with a big display, as so many Android-totin’ folks do lately, and/or (b) for those who’re within the behavior of utilizing your telephone with a single hand no less than a few of the time (for causes that, fortunately, we cannot discover right here at the moment).
So right here it’s: Once you’re utilizing Gboard in its floating mode, you may zoom in or out on the keyboard to regulate its measurement in any manner you need.
Test it out:
Not unhealthy, proper?
Even in its base kind, Gboard’s floating mode is supposed to make it simpler to succeed in the keyboard’s each final edge, regardless of the way you’re typing or holding your telephone. With this trick, you may take that very same idea a step additional and get the keyboard to be simply the correct peak for your particular finger measurement and the precise space you are putting Gboard in your display at any given second.
This is all it is advisable to know to make the most of this efficiency-increasing adjustment:
- First, to fireplace up Gboard’s floating keyboard mode within the first place, search for the icon that is alleged to be a keyboard floating over a line however really appears to be like extra like a humorous robotic head.
- The place, oh the place, might that icon be? Should you’re fortunate, you may see it within the prime row of your keyboard, as proven above, as soon as Gboard is open and current. If it is not there, faucet the white arrow on the left of that prime row to disclose all of the choices inside, if wanted — after which faucet the three-dot menu icon in that very same space to zip over to the total Gboard menu of choices. The floating keyboard possibility oughta be someplace on that display, and you may then drag it up into the keyboard’s higher row if you wish to make it simpler to entry.
- As quickly as you activate that mode, it is best to see a really refined define across the keyboard’s outer edges — most prominently across the corners. That define will solely keep current for a number of quick seconds earlier than vanishing into the nice digital past, so act shortly as quickly as you make that mode swap.
- Should you did not get to the define in time and it light away, do not panic. Simply faucet the floating keyboard icon once more to get Gboard again into its customary, docked kind after which faucet that icon as soon as extra to restart the floating keyboard mode anew. Or, for those who’d somewhat, faucet your finger to that little deal with at Gboard’s backside — what I like to consider because the keyboard’s nubbin — as that’ll convey the define again once more as effectively.
- Once you’ve obtained that highlighted define current, contact your finger to any of the keyboard’s 4 corners after which slide it in diagonally to make Gboard smaller or out diagonally to make it greater.
And that is it! You possibly can all the time modify Gboard’s measurement once more later by toggling out and again into that floating keyboard mode or tappin’ that stunning nubbin after which on the lookout for these outlined edges.
As soon as you have gotten Gboard sized simply the best way prefer it, be aware, too, which you can drag the floating keyboard round to wherever in your display just by touching your finger to the nubbin (attempt to include your self) after which sliding it wherever your fairly little fingie wishes.
You too can shortly exit Gboard’s floating keyboard mode and put your keyboard again into its regular state by dragging the factor all the best way all the way down to the underside of your display and letting go — as a result of hey, why not?
Driving a keyboard has by no means been so rewarding.
For much more Gboard-Android magic, make sure to try my assortment of time-saving Gboard shortcuts — after which join my Android Intelligence publication to get superior ideas like this in your inbox each Friday. I will be ready!