One among my greatest complaints about Home windows 10 was that it was merely up to date too typically. I even wrote just a little rant about it; two ‘main’ updates a yr had been just too frequent and provided too little in the way in which of significant adjustments.
It seems Microsoft had already selected its replace strategy for Home windows going ahead. Though the announcement is just a few weeks previous now, I assumed it was value highlighting: Home windows 11 is transferring to a yearly replace mannequin, very like Android, iOS, and macOS.
To be clear, that is for important function updates, not smaller safety updates and fixes, which can certainly come extra typically. These annual updates, in the meantime, will arrive “within the second half of the calendar yr” and supply two years of assist for many customers (three years for enterprise and training).
It is a great point. You possibly can learn extra about why I feel Microsoft’s previous replace mannequin was damaged in this put up, however right here’s the gist of why a yearly system makes a lot extra sense:
- Semi-annual updates had been complicated for customers. Many if not most customers didn’t notice when a serious function replace occurred, and sure missed out on essential new options.
- Yearly updates additionally give Microsoft way more time to implement significant adjustments than a 6-month interval.
- It additionally means Microsoft has extra time to check issues and not break individuals’s computer systems)
- Yearly function updates set person expectations, a lot the identical approach Apple customers know to count on a major replace yearly. It gained’t be as a lot of a shock when your OS will get a brand new look or new options.
- It’s just a little extra thrilling for Home windows followers, and Microsoft can construct up some hype round updates, which additional spreads the phrase to set expectations.
- It means Microsoft could be bolder with updates, versus attempting to keep up a comparatively constant Home windows 10 expertise all through updates. Making an attempt to make Home windows 10 be “the final model of Home windows” restricted what Microsoft may embrace with updates.
To be clear, I don’t understand how Microsoft will go about naming these yearly updates. Maybe we are going to get a Home windows 12 subsequent time round, or maybe merely a Home windows 11.1. However the transfer to an annual replace cadence is surely an enchancment over Home windows 10’s messy mannequin.
Do you know we now have a e-newsletter all about shopper tech? It’s known as Plugged In –
and you’ll subscribe to it proper right here.